Monday, August 22, 2011

Today



This post was inspired by an email that my sister sent me. She heard a poem on the radio that a woman had written about her daughter on her first day of school. So, here is my version about my Aidan and his first day of Kindergarten. Hopefully I will get through it without too many tears.


Today I am reminded of who I am in this space in time. I am a mommy, blessed with 3 boys to love and care for. God entrusted us to raise these boys for Him. Today we had to loosen our grasp on our 6 year old, just a little bit.


Today, Dripping Springs Elementary gained a beautiful smile that lights up any room, from the face I love so much. They gained his long eyelashes that bat over his big brown eyes.


They gain his servants heart. They gain his strong sense of what is right and good.


Today our boy will spend more of his week days with some other woman, surrounded by friends that we may not know. He will learn how to make friends, how to share, and how to get along with people who aren't exactly nice. He will make great friends that he may have for the rest of his life. He will learn the importance of the pledge of allegience, and how to say the Texas pledge. He will draw and color and learn and play. Today he will float a little bit farther away from us.


Today God showed me his love for my son. He reminded me that He loves Aidan more than I do. That Aidan is HIS! I know that God will protect Aidan, and everything that he has to grow through in his school years, will be used to His Glory.


Today, God gave me some special moments with my love. We had breakfast together at home, and got to talk like we hadn't in years. We talked about Aidan and what our life may look like in the years to come. The things we looked forward to in raising our children. God used Joe, as he often does, to comfort me and to love me. He gave me those moments to show me His love for me! It was a special time and helped me to feel better about this new journey Aidan is on. . Today I am reminded of an illustration that a pastor once used. Picture a hand, grasped tightly around an object. Now picture that same object in the palm of an open hand. Lastly, picture that same object grasped in a loose gripped hand. All things in life should be held onto loosely, because if you hold on too tight, it hurts when it is taken away from you (prying open your tense grip). If you keep your hand open, you may loose the object too easily. But if you hang on, protecting your object, but leaving room for it to move (learn, grow), it won't hurt as much when/if it's taken away. All "objects" on this earth belong to the Lord. Everything you have, you have because the Lord gave it to you. Including your children. SOOO, I am choosing to hang on loosely. I won't smother my kids, nor will I be flippant about raising them. I will choose to do my best to raise them how God wants me to raise them. Raise them to Love God above all else, and to share the Love of God with everyone they can!


Today I pray my Aidan will always walk with the Lord.


Today Aidan began a new journey, and I'm proud to be the mama that gets to support him through it.


No comments:

Older Post Home